May 19, 2010

SPENCER TUNICK'S ART INSTALLATION AT THE OPERA HOUSE

I am still so excited about this morning that I want to share my experience with you straight away!

Few weeks ago I signed up to participate to this mass nude installation by world renowed artist Spencer Tunick. I thought it would be fun and a once in a lifetime kind of experience - and I wasn't wrong!
Obviously the thought of undressing in front of 5000 complete strangers was a bit unnerving..but once we were all grouped in the Gardens, the atmosphere and cameradie was amazing and definitely helped release the tension.
By the time the sun was up - nearly 7am - our spirits were so high most of us couldn't wait to strip down!

Spencer was patient and funny. "I want all couples to embrace and kiss, all friends to kiss and all strangers to do whatever they want", he has instructed us at one point.

Standing there completely naked among thousands of people in such a public place, inhibitions were soon forgotten and I found the whole experience very liberating.
It was a bit like being on a stage, saying to the rest of the world, "here, this is who I truly am, you can look at me now as I am not afraid".
And all the bodies together, all the shapes and ages and skin colours and haircuts were all so different yet so harmonious and so beautiful to watch.
Which reminded me that beauty is everywhere, all around us. And with this happy thought in my mind I have started a new day.

L
x